Episode Two of The Marketing Companion is live! My co-host Mark Schaefer and I discuss the received wisdom that failure is a necessary part of business success, and I share my loathing for "business fables." One thing Mark and I share is our distaste for the Godin-inspired "Just Ship It" mentality that seems to be de rigueur for startups, entrepreneurs and now, sadly, marketers. Well, I can tell you, my friends, that Mark and I never "just ship" this podcast! In this episode, we'll cover the following topics:
- The romance of catastrophic business failure
- Why Seth Godin’s “Just Ship It” mentality leads to problems
- The true source of business innovation and progress
- The untold side of the Apple story and survivor bias
- The strategy paradox –why we don’t learn from failures
- Why you can’t be Zappos
- Is technology an enabler or a leveler of business innovation?
…and, of course, I get to read some more of my SPAM.
Do listen, and let Mark and I know what you think in the comments section. What topics would YOU like to hear us debate on The Marketing Companion?
To listen now: